Monday, July 21, 2008

summer reading list

I finally finished the first year of grad school! What a relief. I had to go out for ice cream Thursday night after finishing my final (three hand-written essay questions...yuck. Major hand cramping!). So now I will be taking a break until the winter quarter in January, what with the wedding and moving and all.

But just a disclaimer, if you've been noticing my reading list to the left, unless you want to feel really depressed, don't bother with any of the following books:
McTeague
In Our Time
Paris Trout
No Country for Old Men
Seize the Day
Winesburg, Ohio
Ballad of the Sad Cafe

I must say that part of the huge relief of finishing this most recent class was not having to read any more depressing, dark, hopeless books--or at least not having to finish them should I accidentally start one. Everyone in my class was joking about wanting to go see a happy movie after finishing the class...but no, we went to see The Dark Knight last weekend. Great movie, terribly dark. I think my professor I just had would love it.

So now I am moving on to happier things, like wedding planning and moving and finding another job, etc. This is a bittersweet time, as I LOVE summer, but am dying for the next 2 months to just disappear...I am ready to have all this wedding stuff taken care of and just be married.

1 comment:

Lucas said...

You might write a dark, depressing book about losing your summer to dark, depressing books. It would be very avangard.