Saturday, July 21, 2007

i hope you dance....

I have observed several things about dancing lately.

First, I think dance is a beautiful art form. My roommate is a dance teacher, and I have developed so much more appreciation for dance since living with her. Three years ago I never would have been addicted to a show called So You Think You Can Dance.

But the above paragraph is, of course, in reference to trained dancers who have been taught technique and how to interpret music.

My observations come from the rest of the population.

I think dancing is something we all long to do, but the fear of looking stupid keeps us from moving to the beat of life. Seriously. It takes someone who either has no concept of self-consciousness or someone who actually doesn't care how they are perceived to be able to dance. Or, in some cases, just large quantities of alcohol.

But still....you have to grudgingly respect someone who will just start dancing when no one else is.

Case in point: Last Friday a group of us went to Bill's Blues Bar in Evanston, to hear....yes, a blues band. Shocking, I know. The layout of the bar was in no way conducive to a dance floor, yet dance floor there was. Started by one guy just dancing in the middle of the floor, all by himself. Anyone dancing along looks somewhat awkward, but it's worse when it's a guy. But the great thing was that this guy really didn't care. Maybe he was really drunk, but still....is that what it takes to rid us of our inhibitions? Because of course, those of us watching snickered a bit at his clumsy motions, myself included. It was incredibly amusing. But like I said, I had to give the guy a little credit.

A similar case happened at The Decemberists concert. Several people were dancing...and in this case, I use the word "dancing" loosely...and it made us laugh.

I think this is what holds me back from being one of those people. I laugh at them. And like a lot of other people, I don't want to be laughed at. So I am not a dancer. But something inside me really wants to dance sometimes. And I can only bring myself to really dance when I know without a doubt that no one can see me.

I am learning that I am a person with many inhibitions and insecurities. I broke out an old Sarah Masen CD last week, and discovered a lyrics that I had forgotten..."let's rip through the seams of our insecurities."

It struck me as beautifully accurate about myself.

So yeah, I got all that out of watching some guy dance in a bar. And some song lyrics.


(smile.)

3 comments:

Jackknifed Juggernaut said...

That was an amazing post. I have spent countless hours on the perimeter of dance floors, afraid of looking foolish and trying to put on a face of affluence rather than dancing. In reality I really want to be that guy... necktie loosened, cranberry juice and vodka down my shirt and all reservations and timidity out the window. By the way, this is R.j.R...

Keith said...

I pretty sure you and your girls need to go out with your shoes and you pocketbooks and say screw guys tonight - I just want to dance... And if any guys come near us we will tazer them... Screw guys tonight - I just want to dance.

JediJeff said...

Hey Charissa - next time you look at a dance floor, note this info:

All men dance up and down. All women dance side to side (hips).

Remember - we are talking untrained, run of the mill, goofs like us. It's pretty funny to see and notice when you look for it.