Friday, October 12, 2007

a swift kick in the butt....

Don't you hate when you think you are doing a good job at something...and then you find out that you're not? It's pretty much the worst feeling ever. Probably not ever...I guess I can think of worse things, like having someone be disappointed in you (which is THE worst feeling ever and infurates me!), but it's not too pleasant.

Take today for instance. Every time we talk about tithing at church, I don't really pay attention, because I tithe. Or at least I thought I tithed. But apparently I don't really. I got to see just how my record of tithing and the church's record of my tithing (since they also know my salary!) actually line up, and I was actually really surprised. So I guess when they talk about having leaders tithe, I should be paying attention. Huh.

It turns out that I am terrible at keeping track of my finances. Half the time I don't even know when I get paid...I know it's generally around the 15th and the 30th, but if it's an off-week, I don't pay attention. I don't balance my checkbook. I check my bank statements online. I use my debit card like there is no tomorrow. I never carry cash. (Although I'm trying to get better at that one to keep track of my small expenditures more competently...like Starbucks and Borders and WalMart...yes, I shop at WalMart.) And I found out that I don't keep track of my tithing either. I'm kind of hit or miss, I knew that, what with being at church so much that I forget to do things like write a check, but I had no idea it was THIS bad!

Nothing like a swift kick in the butt to make you see what you need to do better. This is the real me, I suppose. Slightly irresponsible and a little flighty...please don't hold it against me. I'm working on it, I promise...

No comments: