Wednesday, March 19, 2008

confessions of a bookaholic

I love to read probably more than a sane person should. If I am in the middle of an exceptionally good book, I will choose reading over watching TV, movies, or sometimes even hanging out with other people. I will curl up in my papasan chair (which I bought for $5 at a garage sale) with a blanket and not move for hours, and when I finally get up my legs won't support the rest of me because my knees give out from being bent for so long. It's pathetic, really.

And I am one of those people who reads books more than once. In fact, some books I read more than twice. I can't count how many times I've read some of my favorite books. I just finished re-reading Pride and Prejudice for the second time (the first time was in high school, so it doesn't really count). It's a tough read. At least this time I understood what was going on.

I would rather read than do just about any other activity. If I am not in the midst of reading two or three books at a time, I am lost. I have to go to Borders. Or I will be forced to reread something from my library, which cannot all be contained in my apartment. It's true. I had to store books at my parents' house. They can't wait until I have my own storage space.

I claim that it's their fault, though. My dad (a combination professor-pastor) is also a bookaholic. One entire wall of his office is lined with books. In my family, books are a more-than-acceptable gift. In fact, we usually give each other a list of books before any major gift-giving holiday. We collect books like other people collect more normal things--video games, movies, trophies, etc. I have long been aware that we are somewhat freakish in this regard, an awareness which was heightened the first time I brought Lucas home to meet my parents. He thinks we're all freaks.

Lately I have made a rather comforting discovery. I am not alone.

There are other bookaholics in the world. I just started reading Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott (a book on writing) and compared to her I seem a little more sane than I originally thought. Other people are freakish too.

I think that all any of us want in life is not to be alone in our freakdom. I am so relieved that other people wallow in the world of books, trading reality for the pages of a different reality.

I, of course, know the difference between fiction and reality. I'm not THAT bad.

8 comments:

Jean said...

I'm glad that your reading bird by bird!!Turn to pg 28 the chapter on Perfectionism, and let it sink in. I'm almost done with Animal, Vegtable, Miracle and want to read Prodigal Summer. Let's do a swap.

Tyler said...

I would rather read than do just about any other activity.

Any? Poor lucas. *wink*

Anonymous said...

You're definitely not alone in this... I love it too. I'm reading Prodigal Summer right now. It's fantastic.

Miranda said...

what did you think of Pride and Prejudice? It's one that I read over and over again, along with pretty much Jane Austen's entire library. I think I re-read it every 3 months or so. It's a sickness. Currently re-reading Sense and Sensibility.

Samantha said...

I feel the same. I'm glad to know that re-reading books is something other people do. My favorites get read at least once a year. If I am really into a book, I won't even talk to Jeremy until its done. . .not the best way to handle things, but that way I get the book finished more quickly anyway. :) We got a babysitter for Saturday. Yeah!

Anonymous said...

no your not alone.. Breauna said to me the other day. I haven't read a book in a day for a while! Thats nuts.

adam

Tyler said...

Prayer of Jabez...couldn't put it down.

Lucas said...

I have read the two series of Steven Lawhead books I have twice each. That is 8 total books read twice each.

I think I want to read the Potter series again too. I just have so many books to read for work...

BTW: The books aren't the reason I think your family is strange.