Monday, March 3, 2008

who we used to be...

I love my mother. Please understand that before I say anything else. But she has the power to make me more frustrated than any other single person in my life. Today she called me for the first time in a few weeks and was asking about the wedding plans, and when I told her all the things I'm trying to process, she says: "Whatever happened to the simple cake and punch reception you always talked about?" I have no recollection of that conversation, but she insists that in high school I always said that I wanted the simplest of receptions when I ended up getting married.

I may have said that. But that was then.

I would like to state for the record that I am in no way, shape or form the same person now as I was in high school. Traces remain of the girl I used to be, but on the whole I am perfectly happy with the woman I have grown up to be. I am a thousand times more confident in who I am today than who I was in high school. Everyone goes through a period of extreme self-consciousness and personal discovery, I know. But I can't imagine being the intimidated freshman anymore.

I was always the quiet one, the studious one, the good student, and the obedient daughter. Maybe that is who my mother misses, who she wishes I could still be.

Unfortunately...I still pride myself on being studious, but I don't think that on the whole the word quiet would describe my personality. Somewhere around my senior year of high school I realized I could actually talk to people. It turned out to be pretty fun. In college I learned that I had ambitions and talents that I hadn't known about in high school. After college I took a totally different life path than I had anticipated.

And I have no regrets about that. I think things have turned out rather well, I must say.

But some people get stuck on knowing you one way, and resist watching you change into someone they claim not to recognize. This is the case with my mother. She has expectations of me that fit who I was eight years ago.

Eight years is a pretty long time. I would be disappointed in myself if I had not grown into who I am now, leaving behind who I used to be.

7 comments:

The Carroll Family said...

I think that is a trait all mothers have. Unfortunately it doesn't go away, no matter how old you get.

Jean said...

I think that we are always changing and part of growing up is leaving behind the former self! It's not easy and not everyone comes for the ride. And that's okay!!Mothers are a different story though:)

Keith said...

I like the you that you are now & the you that you will become...

Also, Scarlett in a blowout over Alba. Not that Alba isn't attractive - Scarlett pretty much rules all - except of course Breanne Prunty.

Anonymous said...

Some people get left behind. It's their choice, not yours. Of course, you always have to be nice to your mum because one day your kids will grow up too.

Tyler said...

so.... what ARE we having at your wedding? I heard Eric really likes spice cake and punch.

mrs a. said...

ah yes....mothers. i have one as well.

Anonymous said...

my mom starts, ends, or ruins every conversation with something i did, claimed, said, or messed up in highschool. how do they remember this? will we be this annoying as mom's? i swear i think its a curse of the fall. we should be very senstive to our mother's craziness, because we will probably become some version of her. please GOd no!!