Sunday, March 9, 2008

men will be...boys

Let's face it, the saying "boys will be boys" is applicable not only to small children, but to grown men as well. I am of the firm belief that men never really grow up--sort of the Peter Pan syndrome, but without the magic of flying away to a mythical land, which would definitely spice up life a little bit.

Digression: I loved Peter Pan when I was growing up. Actually, I was (and to some degree still am) a huge fan of almost any Disney movie. I remember the first Disney movie I saw in the theater--Grandpa took all of the grandkids to see The Little Mermaid. I was probably seven or so. I think it was my first movie theater experience, and the part where Prince Eric stabs Ursula with the prow of the ship and they flash her skeleton was permanently etched into the back of my eyelids for weeks afterward. I was a highly impressionable child.

Back to my point: I am at Luke's house at the moment, and there are four grown men playing the newest edition of Smash Brothers. They are highly invested in this game, and it is raucous and uproarious. I am listening from the loft. It is most entertaining. But this scenario proves the point I am trying to make. Men in their mid-to-late twenties are no more grown up than boys in high school. Sure they have their moments of maturity. I will concede that point. But for the most part they are funny and silly and appreciate an inappropriate joke, no matter whether they are pastors or not.

Obviously I speak only from my own experiences. Perhaps I overgeneralize. I think not.

Also--I must make a disclaimer that I had to "clean up" my list of blog links on my site. If yours was deleted, please don't take offense. It's just that some of you don't post very often, and the list was getting too long. I still love you.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

how can you post this and not even tell us what the score is?

mrs a. said...

i agree...i live with a "man boy" right now. i love him to death though ;)

(side note: he wants super smash brothers lol)

JediJeff said...

Pull my finger, Charissa.

:D

Anonymous said...

There was no score. We were sharing and taking turns like good little boys.

It should be noted. We have our own language made up for talking smack in SB.

But you loving Peter Pan clears up alot of questions about why you are marrying me.

I love you Charizar

Tyler said...

no no no no no no no no no. The real issue here is that females [sorry for the generalization - but you started it] believe that videogames are an activity for kids - similar to fingerpaints and Disney cartoons.

I'll not comment more, but a new blog post is coming. :)

Lucas said...

Speaking of genders not growing up... I seem to remember four girls in their late 20's going to Disney on Ice and decorating with disney princes EVERYWHERE... who was that?

Tyler said...

ohhhhh snap!

Shelley Christensen said...

Lucas, I'm still a little embarrassed about that whole Disney Princess thing I got caught up in. So please don't bring it up anymore. I do, however, still like to sleep.

And Charissa, I updated my blog. Please put me back on your list. I promise I'll update more often. Don't push me out of your life like that. It's almost as bad as getting kicked out of a myspace top 8....

Anonymous said...

Umm... I totally agree with your blog logic.

And I noticed that you deleted me from your blog yet I blog quite frequently...

That is all.

Anonymous said...

the only way men change is they stop starring at your boobs whenever they talk to you, somehow they have learned since highschool that God created women with eyes as well. Other than that i think they are always like children.

Anonymous said...

Ever met any guys in their 20s in the Marine Corps that have done tours of duty over in Iraq? They've sacrificed years of their life, suffered to maintain the freedom you enjoy, and have seen and dealt with things that your mind couldn't even begin to comprehend or deal with. But of course, every man remains a little boy, right?

Your ignorance is amazing. Get a grip.

Anonymous said...

f course,"boys(even 56-year-old,5-9,224-
lb "boys")will be boys about boobs.I'm
ALWAYS ogling some voluptuous lady and
sharing our boob-viewing experiences
with my buds.