Wednesday, April 23, 2008

going green

Yesterday was Earth Day. I meant to write this post yesterday, but I of course forgot, or ran out of time, or had some other lame excuse like that.

So on Earth Day (pretend this was posted yesterday), I am thinking about the concept of "going green." It seems to be kind of a trendy thing to do...or at least an up-and-coming trend. People are claiming to be more interested in our environmental debaucle on this planet...everyone from politicians to radio stations like 101.9, one of Chicago's biggest radio stations. On the Mix you can hear daily tips on how to help Chicago go green, things like unplugging your phone charger, turning off the water when brushing your teeth, adjusting your thermostat by one or two degrees to save energy, even having a night where the whole city turned off its lights for a few hours.

I find this admirable. I find this a cause I can get behind. Growing up with parents who are religious recyclers and a father who has an interest in all things environmental, I was brought up to turn off lights when leaving a room, wear sweaters in the winter because the house was always cold, reuse plastic bags and eat leftovers. So I've always felt that I am an environmentally friendly person. It drives Lucas crazy that I bring my recyclables over to his house since we don't have recycling service at our apartment complex. I don't know what I will do when he moves.

But then I started reading a book by Barbara Kingsolver that has introduced me to the detrimental effects of America's eating habits, not only to our health but to our environment, due to our need for instant gratification of our every food want and need.

Going green is a harder lifestyle than I think I am ready for. I have heard more and more stories of people growing their own food or buying local, which I am starting to explore--buying local, that is. I don't think my apartment complex would allow for the planting of a full vegetable garden. And that would be a lot of work. So the whole local food commitment is a big one that I am thinking about, but it means only buying fruits and vegetables in season, which stinks. I love a good strawberry in the middle of the winter, which is clearly not in season. So mainly I'm just looking for farmer's markets right now. Whether I actually buy there or not is a different matter. I have an enormous amount of growing respect for people who choose this lifestyle. It takes a lot of dedication.

I was thinking about trying to ride my bike to work in order to use less gas, but that is an even bigger commitment, what with weather conditions being so unreliable.

And green is my favorite color. That should count for something, right?

2 comments:

Keith said...

My apartment complex doesn't have a recycling program either. My parents are only mildly annoyed when I bring over garbage bags of cans, newspapers etc. It takes them weeks to get rid of it because they only have one bin and their stuff takes up most of it.

I changed all my light bulbs to the ones that use less energy. I guess I am using less energy, but if I don't dispose of the bulbs properly I'll expose people to led.

Can't win them all I suppose.

Lucas said...

I'm sure once someone else moves into that house, you can just take your recycling there and explain that you are a crazy person who hauls garbage around in her car.

People are very understanding about things like that.