Friday, March 9, 2007

bridge to terabithia

So when I saw that they were making a cinematic feature of the book Bridge to Terabithia, I was quite excited, because I read it in a Children's Lit class in college, and it was very good. Haven't seen the movie yet (due to the fact that no one is really interested in seeing it with me and I don't go to movies alone), but from the previews it looked different than I remembered the book. So I read the book yesterday.

It lived up to my memory of its good-ness.

I really liked this part.

"That whole Jesus thing is really interesting, isn't it?"
"What d'you mean?"
"All those people wanting to kill him when he hadn't done anything to hurt them." She hesitated. "It's really kind of a beautiful story--like Abraham Lincoln or Socrates--or Aslan."
"It ain't beautiful," May Belle broke in. "It's scary. Nailing holes right through somebody's hand."
"May Belle's right." Jess reached down into the deepest pit of his mind. "It's because we're all vile sinners God made Jesus die."
"Do you think that's true?"
Jess was shocked. "It's in the Bible, Leslie."
She looked at him as if she were going to argue, then seemed to change her mind. "It's crazy, isn't it?" She shook her head. "You have to believe it, but you hate it. I don't have to believe it, and I think it's beautiful." She shook her head again. "It's crazy."

No comments: